Have you just moved to Australia or lived here for a few months and thinking of owning a vehicle? Refer to the checklist below to help you decide what you need before buying a vehicle in Australia. 

  1. Registration fee: $64
  2. Pay tax: This is determined by the weight of your vehicle.
  3. Vehicle Safety Check or Pink Slip = $23-$39. This is required for vehicles older than five years.
  4. CTP or Green Slip= compulsory 3rd party injury Approx. $500+. This insurance is paid after you pass pink slip.
  5. Safety and Identity Check or Blue Slip = more detailed inspection. $32-$63. A more detailed check if it’s an unregistered vehicle/from interstate.
  6. Annual Fee + Motor vehicle tax(weight based) = $62 + ($200-$1000) depending on weight
  7. Stamp dutythis is a tax to transfer vehicles between names, it’s around 3% of purchased price/log book value.
  8. Registration plate fees – the one off fee to get new [standard] vehicle plates
  9. Transfer registration fees: $32 if vehicle is acquired less than 14 days, otherwise approx. $140.
  10. Number plates: Custom plates is between $187 up to $9000 or standard plates is $44.
  11. Written off vehicle inspection +$500 – only apples if your vehicle has been classified as a write off. 

Buying a new vehicle. What do I need? 

It’s important to read the fine print and ask questions before purchasing a new car. Often, the price you pay for a vehicle may not include 2 and 5. Here’s the guide to help you.

I am buying a new vehicle from another state. What do I need?

Interstate Transfer – 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

State transfer – 7, 9 (1, 2, 6 are yearly fees that stay with the car)

I am buying a second hand vehicle. What do I need? 

Be really careful when purchasing a car from a dealership or another owner. Here is a guide to help you take safety precautions.

From dealer or another owner: 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 and possibly 3.

Should I buy insurance?

Although you are already paying compulsory insurance aka Green Slip (refer. No. 4), you may also save some money by getting additional insurance with your CTP provider. We strongly recommend getting at least 3rd party insurance as it will protect you from paying thousands of dollars in the case of hitting a luxury car e.g. Ferrari, Audi.

Read comprehensive insurance vs third party insurance here.